Warren, MI 48089
If you see illegal dumping into a street storm drain, a ditch or a creek
Call Public Works Commissioner Anothony V. Marrocco's HOTLINE
at 1-877-679-4337 and report the activity.
Guidelines for Recycling
- Your recycling bin is designed to make recycling convenient and easy!
- Please use a permanent marker to put your address on the bin. Each bin is the property of the City of Warren and should stay with the home if you move.
- Bins must be placed at the curb for recycle truck-only pick ups.
- Recyclable materials must be clean and properly prepared.
- On collection day, the bin must be at the curb and five feet away from your other garbage.
- Recycling bins may be purchased for $10. Call (586) 775-1400 for information.
When holidays occur during the week, the collection schedule will be one day late. Normal schedules resume the following week.
Observed holidays include: New Year's Day, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving Day, Independence Day, Christmas Day
What to Recycle and how to Prepare it for Curbside Pickup
Glass Bottles and Jars:
- Clean bottles and jars from food and/or drink. No caps. Labels are okay.
- NO window glass, mirrors, light bulbs, broken glass, ceramics or pottery.
Tin and Aluminum:
- Clean tin and aluminum cans. Labels are okay
- Kitchen cookware, metal pots, pans, tins and utensils
- Empty aerosol cans. No caps.
- Place lids inside cans and crush cans
- Aluminum foil, trays, hangers or pie tins
- Rinse clean and flatten. Labels are okay. No caps.
- Small-neck containers marked "1" or "2" (examples include milk and water jugs, and laundry bottles).
- Wide-mouth containers marked "3" through "7," such as margarine, cottage cheese, peanut butter, etc..
- Plastic bags (retail and grocery bags).
- NO TV trays.
- NO motor oil containers.
- Place newspapers in brown paper (or plastic) bag, or tie in bundles, and place inside or next to recycling bin.
- Newspapers with ALL inserts, magazines, catalogs, telephone books, and brown paper bags
- White, colored, computer, stationery and notebook papers.
- Advertisement fliers -- both glossy and non-glossy.
- Cardboard (flattened)
- Index cards, post cards, and paper envelopes.
- Place all items in brown paper (or plastic) bag, or inside or next to recycling bin.
The following items are NOT picked up at curbside for recycling but MAY be brought to the Recycling Center:
- Car batteries, scrap metal, brass, copper, aluminum, electrical wire, computers, electronics and styrofoam containers and packaging.
Guidelines for Curbside Refuse and Compost Collection
1. Refuse and garbage must be assembled on the grass at the curb by 6:00 a.m., or no earlier than 6:00 p.m. in the evening before your scheduled collection day. Until this time, store refuse and garbage in rear yard.
2. ALL GARBAGE must be stored in standard metal or plastic vermin-proof containers that are covered by a lid and not over 32-gallon capacity or plastic trash bags.
3. PAPER BAGS, BUSHEL BASKETS, AND FILLED BOXES will not be collected or emptied. Boxes should be broken down so that the cardboard is flattened and should be tied securely and stacked by the recycle bin at the curbside.
4. Items too large to fit into regular containers such as discarded CARPETS, APPLIANCES, FURNITURE, and MATTRESSES should be set neatly next to the rubbish containers. Carpets/padding must be cut, rolled, and tied securely in four (4) foot lengths. Prior to pickup, refrigerators & freezers must be empty and have the doors removed – the Freon does not have to be removed from them. Air conditioners & dehumidifiers must have the Freon removed prior to pickup by a licensed refrigerant recovery or heating and cooling company (and have a sticker showing proof of it attached to the appliance) before we can pick it up.
5. The following items will not be collected curbside by the City of Warren Sanitation Division: DIRT, SOD, BRICKS, ROCKS, TIRES and HAZARDOUS WASTE (OIL, PAINT, BATTERIES, ETC).
Please do not place these items out for collection.
Compost season runs from the first April 1 to December 1. There is no curbside pick up for compost from December 2 to first March 31. Compost is accepted at the Recycling Center year round.
1. Compost must be assembled on the grass at the curb by 6:00 a.m. or no earlier than 6 p.m. on the evening before your scheduled collection day. Until this time, store compost in rear yard. Place compost material five feet from other garbage at curbside.
2. All yard waste (i.e. grass clippings, leaves, garden/flower bed debris & small brush) must be in 30-gallon biodegradable brown paper bags OR 32-gallon garbage cans with city issued yard waste stickers for pick up by the compost truck. NO PLASTIC BAGS. (Free stickers are available at City Hall or the Sanitation Division).
3. TREE BRANCHES & SHRUBS–must be tied securely in small bundles for easy removal. They must be four feet or less in length, under two inches in diameter and light enough for one person to pick up the bundle. Tree trunks and stumps must be brought to the recycle center and be cut to firewood-sized pieces (18 inches in length and under 10 inches in diameter).
4. ROOTS must be cut off shrubs, dirt removed, then place roots with garbage and the cut and bundled shrub with the compost.
5. LOGS, TREE TRUNKS, and TREE STUMPS, will not be collected curbside.
Information About Disposal of Waste
City of Warren - Sanitation Division - Recycling Center
25801 Flanders (south of Frazho, between Schoenherr and Groesbeck)
Phone: (586) 775-1400
Hours: Monday- Friday 7:30 a.m.- 4 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m.- noon
Saturday hours are subject to change. The following rules will be applied as this yard is not a licensed dump.
WE WILL ACCEPT:
Furniture, household refuse, cooking oil, newspapers, mixed paper, phone books, magazines, cardboard, auto batteries, motor oil, antifreeze, electrical wire, computers, electronics, styrofoam, scrap metal, copper, brass, aluminum, appliances, and compost material. We are now accepting clothing & shoe donations for charity.
The City of Warren now accepts clothing and shoe recycling! Every donation dropped into the orange bins at our Recycling Center supports the Michigan Humane Society, sponsored by ATRS. Accepted items include clothing, shoes, fabric toys, bedding and household textiles, regardless of quality or condition. For a full list, please visit the ATRS website.
WE DO NOT ACCEPT:
Tree stumps, hazardous waste and shingles. ANY QUESTIONABLE MATERIAL WILL BE JUDGED BY THE YARD PERSONNEL as to whether or not it may be dropped off at the Recycling Center. It is the resident’s responsibility to place discarded material into proper containers. No assistance will be available.
All bona fide residents of the City of Warren only with proof of residency (presenting their drivers license). Contractors are not eligible to utilize the sanitation facility to dispose of any material whatsoever.
Disposal of Other Items
Private Vendors- Call for directions, charges, hours etc.
SENIOR CITIZEN HELP: Macomb County Senior Services (586) 469-6313
RSVP: (586) 412-8054
Interfaith Caregivers: (586) 983-3635
METRO TRANSFER CENTER (Licensed dump)
6451 E McNichols (1 block E of Mt Elliott), Detroit, (313) 893-3388.
PINE TREE ACRES LANDFILL (Licensed dump):
36600 29 Mile, (E of Gratiot), Lenox Twp., (586) 749-9698.
Macomb County Environmental, (586) 466-7923
Van Dyke Gas, 23823 Sherwood, Centerline, (586) 757-8500
Amerigas, 6654 Cotter, (19 Mile & Mound), Sterling Heights, (586) 731-4400
REFRIGERANT RECOVERY (FREON REMOVAL):
(Or, consult yellow pages under “Heating & Cooling Companies” or “Refrigerant Recovery”)
Papa’s Refrigeration Service (586) 759-8400
CONCRETE, ROCKS, DIRT, CLAY, SOD
Unidig, 21600 Quinn Rd., Clinton Twp., (586) 791-4010
Clancy Clean Crush Cement- 29950 Little Mack (N of 12), Roseville, (586) 294-2900
Joe Davis- 25501 Sherwood (N of 10), Warren, (586) 757-3612
S.L.C. Recycling, L.L.C.- 8701 E. Eight Mile Rd, Warren, (586) 759-6600 ext. 228
Shock Brothers Tree Care, 26800 Bunert, Warren (586) 773-6040
WASTE OIL & ANTIFREEZE (5 GALLON LIMIT):
City of Warren Recycle Center, 25801 Flanders (S of Frazho, E of Schoenherr), (586) 775-1400
WASTE OIL (5 GALLON LIMIT):
28401 Groesbeck, Roseville, (586) 777-6665
20777 Gratiot, Eastpointe, (586) 498-9853
30880 Dequindre, Warren, (586) 573-0863
7550 10 Mile, Centerline, (586) 759-8701
When available, wood chips, firewood and compost are free at the recycling center. Bring your own containers. Self-serve.