City of Warren, MI

Alex J. Groesbeck

alex-j-groesbeck-tnSon of a pioneer Dutch-French family, Groesbeck was born in Warren Township near the corner of Mound and 12 Mile Roads in 1872. His father’s election as sheriff in 1880 caused the family to move to Mount Clemens. In 1893 Alex graduated from the University of Michigan and began a long and distinguished legal career in Detroit. After serving as state attorney general from 1917- 1920 he became governor for the first of three successive terms in 1921. His Republican administrations were noted for governmental reorganization, prison reform, and expansion of state highways. Highway M-97 was subsequently name after him. In 1927 he returned to Detroit, retaining active interest in public affairs until his death in 1953.

Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State
Location:
East side of Mound Road between 12 & 13 Mile Roads at the General Motors Entrance
Map

Base Line Feed Store

base-line-feed-store-tnThe Abstract Deed for this property dates back to 1833 and the current building was constructed about 1877. Joseph Verheye bought the building for back taxes in 1939 and started the Base Line Feed Store with one bag of corn. Verheye introduced the first Purina Pigeon Chow to the State of Michigan in 1943. The building is still in operation by the family.

Warren Historical Commission, 1997
Location:
21015 Van Dyke
Map

Bunert - Weier Farm

bunert-weier-farm-tnGottlieb and Susan Bunert bought the 80 acre farm in 1849. They built a log cabin, dug a well and started to farm. The diary of their daughter Wilhelmine stated that the brick house was built in 1876, the barn in 1883 and the carriage garage in 1892. They raised livestock and crops and had their own sawmill. It was Warren’s last operating farm. Today the 18 1/2 acre woods belongs to Macomb Community College and the farm has been subdivided for homes. Bunert-Weier descendants still live in the homestead.


Warren Historical Commission, 1997

Location: 28241 Bunert
Map

Detroit Memorial Park Cemetery

detroit-memorial-park-cem-tn

Detroit Memorial Park Cemetery was organized in 1925 to serve the rapidly expanding post-war Detroit black population. Concerned with the indignities and poor quality of service received by the black community, several distinguished Detroiters established the cemetery to provide reasonably priced and dignified burials. This was the first black-owned and operated business of its kind in the state. Its incorporators included Charles Diggs, a mortician and acknowledged founder, Dr. Aaron Toodle, a druggist and first president. By careful management the cemetery corporation survived the Great Depression and expanded into financial services. Famous inventor, Elijah McCoy, is buried here among doctors, lawyers, ministers, teachers and business, civic and political leaders.

Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State
Location: 13 Mile Road, East of Ryan Road
Map

First Baptist Church of Warren

first-baptist-church-tn

This white frame pioneer church is one of the oldest buildings in the village of Warren. Remarkably the structure, as it stands, is of the original construction and materials. The church, built in 1857 by the Methodist congregation was originally located in the cemetery on Chicago Road. In 1884, wanting a more central location, the frame building was moved to its present location on Seventh and Fillmore. The Methodists outgrew their building and in 1958 sold this historic structure to the First Baptist Church of Warren.


Warren Village Historic District Commission, 1994

Location: 7th St. at Fillmore
Map

City of Warren, Michigan

Copyright © 2016 City Of Warren | One City Square, Warren, Michigan 48093 Mayor's Office (586) 574-4500 | All Rights Reserved.

Share This Site | This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Please be advised: Any exchange of information on The City of Warren's website may be subject to The Freedom Of Information Act. (F.O.I.A.)

Languages

English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish