City of Warren, MI

Red Run Creek


Only 10 miles from French Fort Detroit (1701), it took 100 years before settlers reached Warren. The Red Run Creek, a branch of the Clinton River was the means that the early pioneers followed by canoe. The Red Run Creek provided the pathway that the Moravian Trail (a 23.5 mile wagon road built in 1785 by the Moravian Missionaries and local Native Americans) followed to reach the interior to settle and homestead. At the time, this territory was nothing but a marsh and the Red Run Creek and other similar waterways provided the drain outlets to dry the land and open the area for forestry and farming.

Warren Historical Commission
Location: Historical Plaques located at Mound Road (north of Chicago Rd), and Van Dyke Avenue (north of Chicago Rd).

St. Paul United Church of Christ


About 1850 a small group, representing the Warren Township Outpost of St. Peter’s Evangelical Church of Halfway, met in the old Methodist Church across Mound Road. In 1864 they organized as St. Paul Evangelical Church. This sanctuary was built in 1894. The cornerstone contains a German Bible. After lightning damage in 1921, the steeple which towered 35 feet above the belfry had to be removed. Early records were kept in German and German services prevailed until 1935. The parish hall was added to the sanctuary in 1924 to house the Sunday School and provide room for community gatherings.

Warren Village Historic District Commission, 1994

Location: 31654 Mound

Theisen House


Oral history tells us the John Theisen House was erected in 1857, and actually the structure is present at this location in the 1859 County Atlas. The land was originally patented by a William Cummins in the 1830’s. Records show John Theisen owned the tract and the house by 1859.

The Theisen House is a good example of the solid vernacular dwelling erected by prosperous farmers in southeastern Michigan in the third quarter of the 19th century. It illustrates a more cultivated taste toward Italianate style in its window treatment. Two out-buildings, a "carriage" shed, plus a summer-kitchen circa 1900, are still intact on the property.

Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State
Location: 12240 10 Mile Road

Union Cemetery


In 1845 pioneer farmer Peter Gillette sold a parcel of land to eighteen families for use as a burial ground. The Warren Union Cemetery Association was organized in 1852 to maintain the cemetery, which consists of two and one-quarter acres. Some of the headstone inscriptions are in German, and 325 of the graves date from the nineteenth century. Many of Warren’s former public officials and many prominent citizens are buried here. Warren Union Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in the city.

Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State

Location: Chicago Road east of Ryan Road

Village Hall


The Warren Village Hall was built originally in 1922 to house the offices of the village officials and serve as the voting place for village residents. The west side of the building housed the Warren Community Library from 1949- 1957.  In 1946 the east addition was built to serve the Warren Volunteer Fire Department. It remained a City of Warren Fire Department station until 1992. When the city Fire Station #4 moved in 1992 to its new building on Chicago Road, the old Village Hall building became the home for the offices of the Friends of the Library, the Village Historic District Commission, and the City of Warren Crime Commission.

Village Historic District Commission, October, 1994
Location: 5961 Beebe at Flynn

City of Warren, Michigan

Copyright © 2016 City Of Warren | One City Square, Warren, Michigan 48093 Mayor's Office (586) 574-4500 | All Rights Reserved.

Share This Site | This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Please be advised: Any exchange of information on The City of Warren's website may be subject to The Freedom Of Information Act. (F.O.I.A.)


English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish